On October 5, 2022, entrepreneurs, investors and other stakeholders will gather at the Little America Hotel for the inaugural WIN Venture Summit, a day-long conference focused on key issues that will help Utah’s next generation of entrepreneurs succeed in their ventures. These topics include raising capital, growing and scaling a business, mentoring, innovation and disruption, political and government relations, and social responsibility issues.
At the summit, motivational keynote speaker Whitney Johnson, bestselling author of Smart Growth: How to Grow Your People to Grow Your Company and a 2020 Top Voice on LinkedIn with 1.8 million followers.
“We couldn’t be more excited to bring this group together with the opportunity to hear from Whitney Johnson as we help connect the dots across Utah’s innovation ecosystem,” said Elisabeth Nebeker, director of the Wasatch Innovation Network. “It’s been a great honor to support the next wave of founders and learn more about their companies.”
The WIN Venture Summit is hosted by the Wasatch Innovation Network, founded in July 2021 on the belief that business leaders are stewards and creators, not just beneficiaries, of the technology-driven economic ecosystem.
- Founding sponsors of the WIN Venture Summit 2022 are the Salt Lake Chamber, IsoTalent and TechBuzz News.
- Presenting sponsors are Kickstart, the Frazier Group and the Governor’s Office of Economic Opportunity.
- Venture sponsors are Atomic, Pando Ventures, Sweater and Sorenson Ventures.
- Startup sponsors include Diversified Insurance Group, Epic Ventures, EY, Hillcrest Bank, Mayer Brown and Peterson Ventures.
- Corporate sponsors include Album VC, Assure, KHN Enterprises, Spacestation Investments and SpringTide.
In Spring 2022, the Wasatch Innovation Network launched the Wasatch Innovation Network Top 100 Entrepreneurs (WIN100), an initiative to identify and nurture relationships among Utah’s rising and brightest founders, CEOs, CTOs and venture talent. WIN100 is a community-nominated and peer-reviewed organization of the top 100 tech venture entrepreneurs in the state’s ecosystem.
The idea of WIN100 was based on the premise that the crowd would successfully identify the innovators and entrepreneurs “most likely to create a high growth company” in Utah. The WIN Venture Summit at Little America is a gathering of the chosen and selected 107 WIN100 entrepreneurs and the hundreds of WIN100 nominees who were nominated by their peers but were not selected for this year’s WIN100 list. These numerous founders and their supporters and mentors are cordially invited to attend the WIN Venture Summit on October 5th.
“Utah is emerging as a magnet for capital, talent and opportunity,” said Paul Ahlstrom, co-founder of TechBuzz News and chairman of the state’s Wasatch Innovation Network for decades. It’s important to regularly connect these founders with individuals and firms in Utah’s investment community so they can build strong relationships, collaborate and build successful businesses.”
Register here for the WIN Venture Summit 2022.
Wednesday 5 October 2022
Little America Hotel
Salt Lake City, Utah
08:00 – Continental Breakfast
8:30 am – Warm welcome
8:45 – Policy making and legislative process: how to go from an outsider to an insider?
Moderator: Steve Starks, The Larry H. Miller Company
- Ginger Chinn, Salt Lake Chamber
- Dan Hemmert, Office of the Governor for Economic Opportunities
- Senator Ann Millner, District 5 – Davis, Morgan, Weber
- Katelin Roberts, BioHive
- Representative Robert Spendlove, District 42 – Sandy
9:30 am – Be smart about growth – Expand your workforce to grow your business
Keynote speaker Whitney Johnson
Introduced by Robin Ritch, CEO and Editor of Deseret News
10:45 am – How to meet the growing importance of social responsibility in business
Moderation: Glen Mella, Axcend
- Jenny Ahlstrom, Health Tree Foundation
- Sid Krommenhoek, Album VC
- Nate Randle, Gabb Wireless
- Davis Smith, Cotopaxi
11:45 – Having lunch
12:30 – 13:00 – Utah’s Culture of Good
Moderator: Derek Miller, Salt Lake Chamber
- Lisa Eccles, George S. and Dolores Doré Eccles Foundation
- Gail Miller, The Larry H. Miller Company
13:15 – Chips All In: Launching or Scaling a Startup During a Downturn: A Conversation Between Funders and Founders
Moderator: Jesse Randall, sweater
- Gavin Christensen, Kickstart
- Dave Grow, Lucid Software
14:15 – Know Your Worth: The Challenges and Pitfalls of Raising Capital
Moderator: Kat Kennedy, Kickstart
- Mark Bonham, Mayer Brown
- Morgan Davis, Market Dial
- David Frazier, Frazier Group
15:00-17:00 – Networking reception and jazz guitar with Troy Lennerd sponsored by TechBuzz.
Founding sponsors of WIN100 are The Salt Lake Chamber, IsoTalent and TechBuzz News.
Several of the leading Utah mutual funds and companies listed below support Utah’s vibrant entrepreneurial ecosystem and are sponsors of WIN100 and the WIN Venture Summit.
- Presenting sponsors are the Kickstart Fund and the Frazier Group.
- Venture sponsors are Atomic Financial, Sorenson Ventures and Pando Ventures.
- Startup sponsors include Diversified Insurance Group, EY, EPIC Ventures, Hillcrest Bank, Mayer Brown and Peterson Ventures.
- Corporate sponsors include Album VC, Assure, Spacestation Investments, SpringTide and Sweater.
- WIN100 partners include Axcend, Boardlevel.io, BioUtah, Boom Startup, Gamify, Lassonde Entrepreneur Institute, Savvi, Startup Ignition, Utah Advanced Materials & Manufacturing Initiative, Utah Valley University and Women Tech Council.
Click here to register for the WIN Venture Summit 2022.