These 22 Sci-Fair business and growth stories were the most popular on our website during 2022.
1. Steamboat House owners Charlie and Sennie Fogarty announced in January that the restaurant would be closing after 16 years in business.
2. Earlier this year a Tesla service center opened at the former Gander Mountain location.
3. The highly anticipated grand opening of Voodoo Donuts in Cypress took place this May.
4. Houston Methodist officials broke ground on the new Cypress campus across the highway this June. 290 between Spring Cypress and Barker Cypress Streets.
5. D’Agostino Cos. opened a 300-unit multifamily complex at 20130 Schiel Road, Cypress, known as The Reserve at Cypress.
6. Town Lake’s boardwalk welcomed seafood-forward Italian eatery Passarella this May.
7. Officials with Howard Hughes Corp. announced groundbreaking this summer for Wingspan, a build-to-rent community in Bridgeland.
8. Retailer Popshelf, which is rapidly expanding throughout the Houston area, opened a new location in early July off the highway. 290.
9. Black Rifle Coffee Company brought two new locations to Sci-Fair this year—one across the highway. 6 and one off FM 1960.
10. As part of the 2019 bond referendum, Cy-Fair ISD made progress on a new administration building and a visual and performing arts center near Cy-Fair High School.
11. Houston Premium Outlets welcomed several new businesses this year, including Miss A’s, Bobby Jake’s Burgers & Shakes, and a Purple Mattress store.
12. Build-a-Bear Workshop and Windsor Fashions also opened new locations at Houston Premium Outlets this summer.
13. Oregon-based drive-thru coffee shop Dutch Bros Coffee opened new locations this year, including one on a highway. 290 and Skinner Rd.
14. The owners of Locatelli announced the permanent closure of its Fry Road location in early 2022.
15. Sweetgreen’s brought a new location to Town Lake’s boardwalk this year.
16. Howard Hughes Corp. announced this summer the addition of City Series Townhomes by Highland Homes, a new development in Bridgeland Central Town Center.
17. Caldwell Company officials also announced plans for new townhomes in the Towne Lake community in an April news release.
18. Miami-based pizza franchise P.Pole’s brought its first Texas location to Cypress earlier this year.
19. Taylor Morrison announced plans for Avalon, the new master-planned community in Cypress, this year and held a groundbreaking in mid-May.
20. Cypress’s two master-planned communities made RCLCO Real Estate Consulting’s list of the 50 best-selling communities in the country based on home sales in the first six months of this year.
21. Following the purchase of Willowbrook Plaza in late 2021, the developers announced plans for new tenants including Bluefin Sushi and Mahana Fresh.
22. Brewing’s Restaurant & Bar announced the closure of its location at 28320 Hwy. 290, Cypress, late Aug.